Monday, April 14, 2014

A Little Hooky Never Killed Anyone


A week to go and my home really does look like I’m moving.  The walls are bare and the bookcases are empty.  Appointments have been scheduled and the money orders for the movers and new apartment are ready. And I’ve been playing hooky!

One of my favorite shows this season is Marvel’s Agents of Shield. I’ve never been a comic book reader and I don’t really know who all the super heroes are and their backgrounds but for some reason this show has drawn me in.  The twists and turns have been a bit confusing sometimes and I’m really lucky my next door neighbor is a Marvel junkie and has been around to fill in the blanks. So because of the direction the show has headed, last Tuesday morning I went to the movies by myself to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I’m now addicted.

To take little breaks from the physicality of moving and the achy body parts, I’ve now been watching Marvel movies.  My Amazon prime account has given me Captain America, Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor and The Avengers.  Iron Man 3 and Thor await.  I’m now much more invested in the characters than I was before and I’m thankful Jack’s been around to guide me.  Thank goodness for text messaging and Facebook so Jack and I can continue to share these adventures together. (And he can explain the parts I don’t understand!)

My other escape has been Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series.  From Scotland (where I visited in 2012) to North Carolina (where I move to in a week) I’ve followed Jamie and Claire on their grand adventures. Four books read and four more to go.  I’m hoping to find Fraser’s Ridge once I settle in NC. It’s always fun to be able to see a location described in such detail in a book in person.  I understand they still have “gatherings” in NC. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to attend one. I can wear my Gunn clan tartan and pin!!

With not many days left before I say good bye to New England, I drove about two hours north this morning and spent the day at Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, Massachusetts.  Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) is a living museum, which re-creates life in rural New England during the 1790s through 1830s. I met an old friend from high school and we had a wonderful day walking around the village and catching up on one another’s lives.  The weather was absolutely beautiful and it really was one of the best days I’ve had in a long time. Thanks Billy. You’re always in my heart!

Now reality is setting in. The time for movies and books and long walks is passing. Salvation Army will be here in two days to take away my mattresses and the computer needs to be packed away.  The cats need a visit to the vet and my freezer needs to be emptied. 

There isn’t much time left for playing hooky. My future is almost here…



5 comments:

  1. Hooky is a MUST in life--the best moments! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am sad for you.... But you don't seem sad, so let's do it!!!! Tobacco road here we come!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on over to my blog.....bleachervision.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori:
    You and I are in the same place... sitting here in limbo! Except I still have too much to do to watch TV :( :(

    ReplyDelete