Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Finding Your New Community - Where Do You Belong?



 “We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community.”  ― Dorothy Day


When I was researching a new place to live, one of the most important things for me was to find a church to attend.  For me, that would be a progressive United Church of Christ. I knew that in moving to a new place where I had no friends or relatives, I needed to find a community to become part of. A church sounded like a good place to start.

Think about it, church memberships are made up of many different demographics. Young, old, long time members, new to the congregation, active and inactive participants. And as human beings, they will also have different opinions, interests and backgrounds.

Using a church community to help you get acclimated is like walking right into a “Google” store! And utilizing the Facebook “group” option, gives you many different opinions at the same time! If I need something, all I need to do is ask.  

     Bank or credit union? 

     Where can I get a good mani/pedi? 

     Is there a Trader Joe’s nearby?

     Target or Walmart?

     Best pizza around? Who delivers?

Attending church regularly and joining the church’s Facebook group has been a blessing. As a matter of fact, I joined the group on Facebook as soon as I committed to moving to Charlotte.  The funny thing is, some people I met upon my arrival thought I had been around longer as they had seen me and my comments online!  (They welcomed me anyway!)

I’ve been here just about three weeks now and in many ways it seems like longer. Because of the church, I have joined a yoga class and will start Weight Watchers next week. I’ve been able to share my moving boxes and packing materials with a member of the church who is moving from one home to another. I’ve had lunch in a beautiful park with a group of retired members and made plans to go to a Charlotte Knights minor league baseball game. I will join another group this coming weekend to tour a Raptor Center and have BBQ afterwards. A member is coming over tomorrow to do a few “handyman” chores for me and I’ve gotten advice on job hunting and possible employment prospects.

If you move to a new town, joining a church may not best serve your needs. But I do believe that finding a group of people who share a common interest will help you acclimate to your new surroundings. A “community” can be a knitting class, a softball team, a local theater group or even your place of employment.  Wherever you feel a mutual bond with others, embrace the environment. Learn from it and let it help you find your place in your new hometown! It has certainly helped me!!




6 comments:

  1. Oh Lori, what a great post! You know, that's how I feel about my friends at the Bethel UMC. They are an extension of my community and are always there whenever someone needs them. I'm so thrilled your settling into your new home with such ease. I think the advice you give here is great and hope it helps someone else who may have recently moved to a new town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Sounds like my post accomplished what I wanted it to!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori! Glad to hear you found a "community" that helps you feel settled and happy in your new hometown. You're right, a church is definitely a good way to find people who share the same values as you. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Different things work for different people, but the idea remains the same!

      Delete
  3. It's so true, Lori! When we moved to Edmonton 30 years ago, we didn't know a soul. But within hours of attending our first church service, our family was invited over for dinner. I was included in the women's group. Our children had new friends. And Husby had a group of husbands/fathers who were so welcoming and friendly. A neighbour across the street saw the sudden activity surrounding us and asked if we'd known anyone before we moved in. He'd been there for two years and still didn't know a single person! Finding a group that fits you is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing is that it doesn't always need to be a church. It can be any place where you feel welcomed.

      Delete