Monday, March 31, 2014

Moving or Standing in Place

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well".  ~ Mark Twain


My move to North Carolina is three weeks away and I seem to be paralyzed.

I cleaned out a bookcase and then didn’t want to box the books up because I don’t know where to put the box. So I put some books in a box for donation and put the rest back on the shelves. I have another box of my daughter’s things but the box isn’t full so I don’t know whether to tape it up or not. So I put the box in a corner and hope I don’t trip on it.

I did spend three hours scanning old photos into my computer and adding them to my ancestry tree but that really is just an escape. It’s an accomplishment, just not the kind that needs to be done.

Don’t get me wrong, I am excited about moving.  I guess I’m just not ready to pack.

I could pack the entertainment unit in my living room in less than an hour but then I will be staring at boxes for the next three weeks. I could take all the photos from Ireland off the walls but I would miss their beauty.

I could pack up the linen closet and decide which towels/sheets/blankets to keep or give away but what if I end up needing those items as part of my packing to cushion vases or lamp shades.

I think about going to Home Depot and getting wardrobe boxes but it’s raining again and I don’t want the boxes to get wet.

I have furniture being given away to family but they are too busy to pick the items up or I’m still using them. People have offered to help me pack or clean but are caught up in their own lives.

I’m restless and ready to start over but these weeks stand in the way. I’m pulled between the old and the new. Push, pull, give, take, keep or throw away.

Maybe I’ll just make a cup of tea and finish reading Outlander…




6 comments:

  1. Moving is always a challenge for me too! I find myself stuck before I have to move to the next place whether literally or just figurtively. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixed emotions come out in all different ways...
    carol
    http://www.carolcassara.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete