Tuesday, March 11, 2014

One of Those Weeks


Highs and lows. Ups and downs.  We all have those kinds of weeks.  So bear with me if this post seems a little scattered – my brain is running in many different directions.  I’m sure you have been here before and know what I mean.

From the euphoria of sharing my good news with friends and family, to the slight depression about having to actually wait six weeks to move to Charlotte, NC, I feel like I’ve been on a roller coaster. 

I’ve lived in my small town of 19,000 people for over 25 years and over 13 of them have been in the same house.  It’s a bit of a challenge to move to someplace new. Besides finding the right moving company, there are so many more things to think about.  Lists upon lists upon lists are the only thing keeping me sane!

Here’s a sampling of what’s on my mind right now:

     Insurance – Auto and Tenant – Do I switch carriers? Is North Carolina different than Connecticut?

     Cable, Internet and Phone – Who are suppliers in NC? Can I keep my AT&T Uverse? Do I switch to Time Warner?     

     Bank – Do I go with Bank of America or Wells Fargo? Maybe a credit union?

     I’ll need to find a new doctor and dentist and vet for my cats


     Meet with my landlord to discuss moving out and getting my deposit back

And it goes on….

Right now, I’m waiting for my daughter to come home for her spring break from college. She needs to go through the house she has lived in for over 13 years and pack everything she owns in boxes. I know this won’t be easy for either one of us but it must be done. I can’t bring her belongings with me to NC. Sorting through her childhood and deciding what to keep, give away or throw away will be emotional. Knowing that her “home” is no longer in CT but instead someplace she has never been will be difficult.

Once her bedroom is empty of her personal belongings, I hope to sell her bedroom furniture and then I will have a place to store boxes as I get them packed.  So, the whole process of packing and moving has to slow down a bit even though I am anxious to just get on with it!

Today’s project was taking pictures out of frames. I’ve had a box of old framed photos sitting in my basement for at least ten years.  I took all of the photos out of the frames and put them in an acid free photo box. I hope to sell all of the frames.  It’s one less heavy box to move and maybe I can make a little money in the process.

It’s kind of weird to be going through this whole moving process.  I’m excited to be making this change but I know how major it is. I’m packing up, selling, giving away or throwing away almost 25 years of my life.


No one said change was going to be easy…





No comments:

Post a Comment